Man dubbed `Godfather of Heroin` dies in Myanmar
Yangon: A former drug kingpin and business tycoon once dubbed the "Godfather of Heroin" by the US government has died in his home in Myanmar`s main city, a source close to the family said on Sunday.
Lo Hsing Han died yesterday in Yangon, the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he did not have authorisation to speak to the media, said, citing a relative of the former drug kingpin. Lo Hsing Han was believed to be in his mid-70s. The cause of death was not immediately known.
Lo Hsing Han`s involvement in the drug trade began more than four decades ago.
In exchange for heading a local militia set up by then-dictator Ne Win in the 1960s to help fight local communists in the region of Kokang, Lo Hsing Han was given permission to engage in the trafficking of opium and heroin, said Bertil Lintner, author of "The Golden Triangle Opium Trade: An Overview."
With one of the best-armed militias in Myanmar, also known as Burma, he quickly became one of the region`s most powerful drug kingpins.
Thai police arrested Lo Hsing Han in northern Thailand in 1973. He was handed over to the Burmese government and sentenced to death, commuted later to life in prison, for treason.
He was released in 1980 as part of a general amnesty, Lintner said.
In 1992, Lo Hsing Han and his son Stephen Law founded the conglomerate Asia World, allegedly as a front for their ongoing dealings in the drug trade, the author said.
They quickly became two of Myanmar`s biggest business tycoons, helping prop up the military junta, winning contracts to run ports, build highways and oversee airports.
The US Department of Treasury, dubbing Lo Hsing Han the "Godfather of Heroin," put him on the financial sanctions list in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'