Man gets USD 10 mn for wrongful conviction in rabbi killing
New York: A New York man was awarded USD 10 million after spending 16 years in prison for a murder he did not commit, his lawyer has said.
Jabbar Collins, now 42, was convicted and sent to prison for the February 1994 murder of Abraham Pollack, an Orthodox rabbi who had been collecting rent at a Brooklyn building.
Collins, who is African American, was 21 when he was sent to prison in March 1995. He was sentenced to a lengthy prison sentence based mainly on testimony of witnesses who claimed that they had seen him fleeing the scene of the crime.
But he was exonerated in 2010.
Collins "has settled his lawsuit against the City of New York for USD 10 million," his attorney Joel Rubin said in a statement yesterday.
Previously, Collins had settled an unjust conviction lawsuit with the state of New York for USD 3 million.
Both the city and the state agreed to a settlement to avoid a trial.
While in prison, Collins studied law, and learned that one of the witnesses retracted his testimony before the trial, but his defence lawyer was never notified.
Police wrote a statement that the witness said he signed under duress to avoid being charged in another case.
Collins also discovered other inconsistencies, so he appealed.
US District Judge Dora Irizarry vacated his conviction due to pervasive misconduct by the office of District Attorney Charles Hynes, which she termed "shameful."
New York has recently settled several cases of people wrongfully convicted by Hynes in the 1980s and 1990s.
Other examples include five men unjustly accused of murdering a runner in Central Park in 1989, when they were teenagers. The men were awarded USD 1 million for each year they spent in prison.
Since leaving prison, Collins has worked as a paralegal at his lawyer`s office, "but now has plans to take a lengthy leave of absence and then to enter the ministry," Rubin`s statement said.
"He plans to continue his work in wrongful conviction cases."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report