Man held for trying to lit fire inside Gurdwara in Melbourne
Melbourne: A 26-year-old man, who tried to lit fire inside a Gurdwara in Melbourne and then punched a man, was on Wednesday arrested by the Australian Police on the charges of damaging the complex.
"Officers arrested the man at the Craigieburn Railway Station around 3.30 am and interviewed him at the Broadmeadows Police Station," Victorian police said in a statement on Wednesday.
He has been charged with criminal damage by fire, as well as other assault related charges and will face Broadmeadows Magistrates` Court later on Wednesday, the statement added.
The accused had entered Gurdwara at about 7.30pm (local time) on Tuesday.
According to Jasvir Singh uppal of the Gurdwara, the accused tried to lit fire to a small cloth with his lighter which was tied to an entry door and then punched a man.
"The fire was quickly put off and no damage has really happened," he said, adding, the motive behind the incident is not yet known.
Meanwhile, the 31 year old victim was taken to the Northern Hospital for treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price