Man held for trying to lit fire inside Gurdwara in Melbourne
Melbourne: A 26-year-old man, who tried to lit fire inside a Gurdwara in Melbourne and then punched a man, was on Wednesday arrested by the Australian Police on the charges of damaging the complex.
"Officers arrested the man at the Craigieburn Railway Station around 3.30 am and interviewed him at the Broadmeadows Police Station," Victorian police said in a statement on Wednesday.
He has been charged with criminal damage by fire, as well as other assault related charges and will face Broadmeadows Magistrates` Court later on Wednesday, the statement added.
The accused had entered Gurdwara at about 7.30pm (local time) on Tuesday.
According to Jasvir Singh uppal of the Gurdwara, the accused tried to lit fire to a small cloth with his lighter which was tied to an entry door and then punched a man.
"The fire was quickly put off and no damage has really happened," he said, adding, the motive behind the incident is not yet known.
Meanwhile, the 31 year old victim was taken to the Northern Hospital for treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- DNA: Why no voice is being raised in favour of Kashmiri Pandits?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city