Man held for trying to lit fire inside Gurdwara in Melbourne
Melbourne: A 26-year-old man, who tried to lit fire inside a Gurdwara in Melbourne and then punched a man, was on Wednesday arrested by the Australian Police on the charges of damaging the complex.
"Officers arrested the man at the Craigieburn Railway Station around 3.30 am and interviewed him at the Broadmeadows Police Station," Victorian police said in a statement on Wednesday.
He has been charged with criminal damage by fire, as well as other assault related charges and will face Broadmeadows Magistrates` Court later on Wednesday, the statement added.
The accused had entered Gurdwara at about 7.30pm (local time) on Tuesday.
According to Jasvir Singh uppal of the Gurdwara, the accused tried to lit fire to a small cloth with his lighter which was tied to an entry door and then punched a man.
"The fire was quickly put off and no damage has really happened," he said, adding, the motive behind the incident is not yet known.
Meanwhile, the 31 year old victim was taken to the Northern Hospital for treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?