Man held for trying to lit fire inside Gurdwara in Melbourne
Melbourne: A 26-year-old man, who tried to lit fire inside a Gurdwara in Melbourne and then punched a man, was on Wednesday arrested by the Australian Police on the charges of damaging the complex.
"Officers arrested the man at the Craigieburn Railway Station around 3.30 am and interviewed him at the Broadmeadows Police Station," Victorian police said in a statement on Wednesday.
He has been charged with criminal damage by fire, as well as other assault related charges and will face Broadmeadows Magistrates` Court later on Wednesday, the statement added.
The accused had entered Gurdwara at about 7.30pm (local time) on Tuesday.
According to Jasvir Singh uppal of the Gurdwara, the accused tried to lit fire to a small cloth with his lighter which was tied to an entry door and then punched a man.
"The fire was quickly put off and no damage has really happened," he said, adding, the motive behind the incident is not yet known.
Meanwhile, the 31 year old victim was taken to the Northern Hospital for treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September