Man held for trying to lit fire inside Gurdwara in Melbourne
Melbourne: A 26-year-old man, who tried to lit fire inside a Gurdwara in Melbourne and then punched a man, was on Wednesday arrested by the Australian Police on the charges of damaging the complex.
"Officers arrested the man at the Craigieburn Railway Station around 3.30 am and interviewed him at the Broadmeadows Police Station," Victorian police said in a statement on Wednesday.
He has been charged with criminal damage by fire, as well as other assault related charges and will face Broadmeadows Magistrates` Court later on Wednesday, the statement added.
The accused had entered Gurdwara at about 7.30pm (local time) on Tuesday.
According to Jasvir Singh uppal of the Gurdwara, the accused tried to lit fire to a small cloth with his lighter which was tied to an entry door and then punched a man.
"The fire was quickly put off and no damage has really happened," he said, adding, the motive behind the incident is not yet known.
Meanwhile, the 31 year old victim was taken to the Northern Hospital for treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister