Man held without bail in NY couple`s deadly crash
New York: Police in New York City were awaiting the return of a suspect in a hit-and-run crash that killed a pregnant woman and her husband on their way to a hospital. Their premature baby, delivered after the crash, later died.
The man suspected of fleeing the scene was arrested in the neighbouring state of Pennsylvania on yesterday after a friend arranged his surrender. Julio Acevedo was ordered held without bail.
Acevedo, 44, was arrested on charges of leaving the scene of an accident, New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said. Acevedo said nothing to officers, Browne said.
Acevedo is accused of driving at twice the speed limit and crashing into a car carrying Nachman and Raizy Glauber. The Glaubers, both 21 years old, died on Sunday, and their premature son, delivered by cesarean section, died on Monday. It was unclear if Acevedo had an attorney.
Acevedo told the Daily News tabloid that he was fleeing a gunman who was trying to shoot at him when his borrowed BMW slammed into a hired car carrying the couple. He told the newspaper he fled because he was worried he`d be killed. But police said there were no reports of shots fired in the area at the time of the wreck.
The couple belonged to a close-knit ultra-Orthodox Jewish community that is the largest outside Israel.
"It`s a sweet bitter pill to swallow," Isaac Abraham, a spokesman for the community, said of the arrest. "It`s a little good news that at least the man responsible has been arrested, but it doesn`t bring any of the victims back."
He added that community members hoped Acevedo would face murder charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test