Man held without bail in NY couple`s deadly crash
New York: Police in New York City were awaiting the return of a suspect in a hit-and-run crash that killed a pregnant woman and her husband on their way to a hospital. Their premature baby, delivered after the crash, later died.
The man suspected of fleeing the scene was arrested in the neighbouring state of Pennsylvania on yesterday after a friend arranged his surrender. Julio Acevedo was ordered held without bail.
Acevedo, 44, was arrested on charges of leaving the scene of an accident, New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said. Acevedo said nothing to officers, Browne said.
Acevedo is accused of driving at twice the speed limit and crashing into a car carrying Nachman and Raizy Glauber. The Glaubers, both 21 years old, died on Sunday, and their premature son, delivered by cesarean section, died on Monday. It was unclear if Acevedo had an attorney.
Acevedo told the Daily News tabloid that he was fleeing a gunman who was trying to shoot at him when his borrowed BMW slammed into a hired car carrying the couple. He told the newspaper he fled because he was worried he`d be killed. But police said there were no reports of shots fired in the area at the time of the wreck.
The couple belonged to a close-knit ultra-Orthodox Jewish community that is the largest outside Israel.
"It`s a sweet bitter pill to swallow," Isaac Abraham, a spokesman for the community, said of the arrest. "It`s a little good news that at least the man responsible has been arrested, but it doesn`t bring any of the victims back."
He added that community members hoped Acevedo would face murder charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter