Man held without bail in NY couple`s deadly crash
New York: Police in New York City were awaiting the return of a suspect in a hit-and-run crash that killed a pregnant woman and her husband on their way to a hospital. Their premature baby, delivered after the crash, later died.
The man suspected of fleeing the scene was arrested in the neighbouring state of Pennsylvania on yesterday after a friend arranged his surrender. Julio Acevedo was ordered held without bail.
Acevedo, 44, was arrested on charges of leaving the scene of an accident, New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said. Acevedo said nothing to officers, Browne said.
Acevedo is accused of driving at twice the speed limit and crashing into a car carrying Nachman and Raizy Glauber. The Glaubers, both 21 years old, died on Sunday, and their premature son, delivered by cesarean section, died on Monday. It was unclear if Acevedo had an attorney.
Acevedo told the Daily News tabloid that he was fleeing a gunman who was trying to shoot at him when his borrowed BMW slammed into a hired car carrying the couple. He told the newspaper he fled because he was worried he`d be killed. But police said there were no reports of shots fired in the area at the time of the wreck.
The couple belonged to a close-knit ultra-Orthodox Jewish community that is the largest outside Israel.
"It`s a sweet bitter pill to swallow," Isaac Abraham, a spokesman for the community, said of the arrest. "It`s a little good news that at least the man responsible has been arrested, but it doesn`t bring any of the victims back."
He added that community members hoped Acevedo would face murder charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days