Man in China sentenced for inciting self-immolation
Qinghai: A court in northwest China`s Qinghai Province on Friday sentenced a man to 13 years in jail for goading a monk to self-immolate and inciting split of the state.
The Intermediate People`s Court of the Huangnan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture convicted the defendant Phagpa, 27, of intentional homicide and inciting split of the state, after an open trial on Friday morning.
He was found to have incited Drolma Je, a monk at the Dowa Monastery of Tongren County, Huangnan prefecture, to self-immolate for "freedom and independence of the Tibetan ethnic group”.
The self-immolation did not occur only because a sister in law of Drolma Je discovered his attempt and dissuaded him from doing so, the court found.
The defendant was found to have propagated "Tibet independence" ideas for several times among the public and goaded people to stage an illegal demonstration, with himself taking the lead to chant "Tibet independence" slogans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown