Man in China sentenced for inciting self-immolation
Qinghai: A court in northwest China`s Qinghai Province on Friday sentenced a man to 13 years in jail for goading a monk to self-immolate and inciting split of the state.
The Intermediate People`s Court of the Huangnan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture convicted the defendant Phagpa, 27, of intentional homicide and inciting split of the state, after an open trial on Friday morning.
He was found to have incited Drolma Je, a monk at the Dowa Monastery of Tongren County, Huangnan prefecture, to self-immolate for "freedom and independence of the Tibetan ethnic group”.
The self-immolation did not occur only because a sister in law of Drolma Je discovered his attempt and dissuaded him from doing so, the court found.
The defendant was found to have propagated "Tibet independence" ideas for several times among the public and goaded people to stage an illegal demonstration, with himself taking the lead to chant "Tibet independence" slogans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say