Man in China sentenced for inciting self-immolation
Qinghai: A court in northwest China`s Qinghai Province on Friday sentenced a man to 13 years in jail for goading a monk to self-immolate and inciting split of the state.
The Intermediate People`s Court of the Huangnan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture convicted the defendant Phagpa, 27, of intentional homicide and inciting split of the state, after an open trial on Friday morning.
He was found to have incited Drolma Je, a monk at the Dowa Monastery of Tongren County, Huangnan prefecture, to self-immolate for "freedom and independence of the Tibetan ethnic group”.
The self-immolation did not occur only because a sister in law of Drolma Je discovered his attempt and dissuaded him from doing so, the court found.
The defendant was found to have propagated "Tibet independence" ideas for several times among the public and goaded people to stage an illegal demonstration, with himself taking the lead to chant "Tibet independence" slogans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured