Man jumps to his death from Burj Khalifa

A 30-year-old man believed to be an Indian died after jumping off the 147th floor of the Burj Khalifa.

Dubai: In what is an apparent case of
suicide, a 30-year-old man believed to be an Indian on Wednesday died
after jumping off the 147th floor of the Burj Khalifa, the
world`s tallest tower, Dubai Police have said.

The man in early thirties, who is yet to be
identified, jumped from an air vent from the 147th floor and
landed on a terrace at the tower`s 108th floor, they said
adding that he was of Asian origin.

Unconfirmed local reports, however, said he was

"The police operations room received a call about a
suicide at the Burj Khalifa today, and CID and investigation
teams were immediately dispatched," Dubai Police said in a

This is the first recorded suicide since the building
was completed last year. After he jumped, the man hit the
metal barriers of the tower, causing some damage to the structure
before landing.

Initial investigations showed the man worked at a
company inside the Burj. There are unconfirmed reports that
the man had requested a holiday but it was refused.

However, there is still confusion over the exact time
of the incident. In a statement Emaar Properties, the
developer of the tower said that the incident occurred earlier
in the day.

"At around 9am, an incident involving a male was
reported at the Burj Khalifa site. The concerned authorities
have confirmed that it was a suicide, and we are awaiting the
final report," said the statement.

Police are continuing to investigate the matter.
Emaar says floors 45 to 108 are private residences,
with most of the remaining floors used as corporate suites.

According to local reports quoting eyewitnesses, the
man, jumped from the 147th floor of the building and fell on
the 102nd floor, dying within a few minutes.

The police and paramedics arrived within few minutes
of the incident but could not resuscitate him.

The badly mangled remains of his body have been sent to
the forensic department for investigation.

News of the incident circulated quickly on social
networking sites and several tweets went round following the


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link