This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Man pushed to death in New York subway

Last Updated: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 21:53

New York: A man was pushed to his death in front of a subway train by a woman, the second such incident in less than a month in which a person has been shoved onto the tracks by a fellow commuter.

Police has not yet identified the victim or the woman who pushed him on to the tracks last night.

Based on the image caught of her through surveillance cameras in the area, police describe the suspect as a 5 feet 5 inch tall Hispanic in her 20s wearing a blue, white and gray jacket and sneakers.

According to witnesses, the woman was "mumbling" as she approached the man, who was standing on an elevated platform at a local train station in Queens.
Some witnesses said she had been following the man closely and suddenly threw him on the tracks.

New York Police Department chief spokesman Paul Browne said the man had been standing with his back to her and did not notice her.

Authorities added that the woman apparently waited for the train to approach the platform before pushing the man, who did not have much time to jump back on the platform or be rescued by other commuters.

Police is trying to determine if the woman and the man knew each other and what the motive behind the woman`s actions could be.

"We haven`t determined whether it was random or if there was some connection yet, but there was nothing from what the witnesses could see to indicate that they knew each other and he did not, according to the witnesses, appear to realize that she was approaching," Browne added.

Following the incident, train services was suspended on the line, which connects Manhattan and Queens.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority was using buses to ferry riders.
The shocking incident comes just weeks after 58-year-old Ki-Suck Han was pushed in front of a subway train in Times Square by 30-year-old homeless man Naeem Davis.

A photographer at the station had captured Ki-Suck`s last moments in his camera, which showed him looking at the approaching train as he stood on the rail tracks.

The photo was widely published by local newspapers and drew sharp criticism from citizens who said the photographer and other passengers at the station could have saved Ki-Suck instead of being mere spectators.

Davis has been charged with murder and was ordered held without bail.
He has pleaded not guilty saying Ki-Suck had provoked him and had attacked him first.


First Published: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 21:53

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus