Man pushed to death in New York subway
New York: A man was pushed to his death in front of a subway train by a woman, the second such incident in less than a month in which a person has been shoved onto the tracks by a fellow commuter.
Police has not yet identified the victim or the woman who pushed him on to the tracks last night.
Based on the image caught of her through surveillance cameras in the area, police describe the suspect as a 5 feet 5 inch tall Hispanic in her 20s wearing a blue, white and gray jacket and sneakers.
According to witnesses, the woman was "mumbling" as she approached the man, who was standing on an elevated platform at a local train station in Queens.
Some witnesses said she had been following the man closely and suddenly threw him on the tracks.
New York Police Department chief spokesman Paul Browne said the man had been standing with his back to her and did not notice her.
Authorities added that the woman apparently waited for the train to approach the platform before pushing the man, who did not have much time to jump back on the platform or be rescued by other commuters.
Police is trying to determine if the woman and the man knew each other and what the motive behind the woman`s actions could be.
"We haven`t determined whether it was random or if there was some connection yet, but there was nothing from what the witnesses could see to indicate that they knew each other and he did not, according to the witnesses, appear to realize that she was approaching," Browne added.
Following the incident, train services was suspended on the line, which connects Manhattan and Queens.
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority was using buses to ferry riders.
The shocking incident comes just weeks after 58-year-old Ki-Suck Han was pushed in front of a subway train in Times Square by 30-year-old homeless man Naeem Davis.
A photographer at the station had captured Ki-Suck`s last moments in his camera, which showed him looking at the approaching train as he stood on the rail tracks.
The photo was widely published by local newspapers and drew sharp criticism from citizens who said the photographer and other passengers at the station could have saved Ki-Suck instead of being mere spectators.
Davis has been charged with murder and was ordered held without bail.
He has pleaded not guilty saying Ki-Suck had provoked him and had attacked him first.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins