Man sentenced to 37 years in US millennium plot
Seattle: An Algerian-born man has been sentenced to 37 years in prison for plotting to bomb Los Angeles International Airport around the turn of the new millennium.
Ahmed Ressam was arrested in December 1999 as he drove off a ferry from Canada into Washington state with a trunk full of explosives.
US District Judge John C Coughenour had twice ordered him to serve 22-year terms, but both times the sentences were reversed on appeal.
Ressam`s attorneys today conceded that he should face at least three decades to satisfy the appeals courts.
The Justice Department had sought life in prison because of the mass murder he intended to inflict and because he recanted his cooperation with federal investigators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?