Man sentenced to death for killing 8 people in China
Beijing: A 41-year-old man has been sentenced to death in China for killing eight of his neighbours, including three children, following a dispute over the positioning of a mirror.
Li Lingtao was convicted by a local court in Pingdingshan City of central China's Henan Province for the murder of his neighbours using an iron bar, an axe and a cleaver in May this year.
Li surrendered to police after the crime, saying he was angry that his neighbours living opposite the street had put up a mirror on their gate.
He suspected they were trying to damage his feng shui, the ancient Chinese philosophical system under which geomantic omens are held to affect the fortunes of an abode.
During an open trial attended by nearly 100 people on Thursday, Li admitted to the court that he killed the people seeking revenge, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The Intermediate People's Court of Pingdingshan also deprived him of his political rights for life, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Manufacturing growth to be higher in Q2 on better export outlook: Survey
- Assocham for penalty waiver in initial phase of GST rollout
- Roberto Martinez announced Thierry Henry as assistant coach for Belgium
- Olympic Dreams: Rickshaw driver buys shooter daughter rifle worth 5 lakh that was saved for her wedding
- Sonam Kapoor to campaign against malnutrition