Man sentenced to death for killing 8 people in China
Beijing: A 41-year-old man has been sentenced to death in China for killing eight of his neighbours, including three children, following a dispute over the positioning of a mirror.
Li Lingtao was convicted by a local court in Pingdingshan City of central China's Henan Province for the murder of his neighbours using an iron bar, an axe and a cleaver in May this year.
Li surrendered to police after the crime, saying he was angry that his neighbours living opposite the street had put up a mirror on their gate.
He suspected they were trying to damage his feng shui, the ancient Chinese philosophical system under which geomantic omens are held to affect the fortunes of an abode.
During an open trial attended by nearly 100 people on Thursday, Li admitted to the court that he killed the people seeking revenge, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The Intermediate People's Court of Pingdingshan also deprived him of his political rights for life, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere