Man sentenced to death for killing 8 people in China
Beijing: A 41-year-old man has been sentenced to death in China for killing eight of his neighbours, including three children, following a dispute over the positioning of a mirror.
Li Lingtao was convicted by a local court in Pingdingshan City of central China's Henan Province for the murder of his neighbours using an iron bar, an axe and a cleaver in May this year.
Li surrendered to police after the crime, saying he was angry that his neighbours living opposite the street had put up a mirror on their gate.
He suspected they were trying to damage his feng shui, the ancient Chinese philosophical system under which geomantic omens are held to affect the fortunes of an abode.
During an open trial attended by nearly 100 people on Thursday, Li admitted to the court that he killed the people seeking revenge, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The Intermediate People's Court of Pingdingshan also deprived him of his political rights for life, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Hillary Clinton makes history as first woman White House nominee
- Venezuela government seeks to ban opposition over recall 'fraud'
- WHO declares Brazil free of measles
- Lok Sabha passes child labour Bill despite opposition from children's rights activists
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister