Man sentenced to death for killing 8 people in China
Beijing: A 41-year-old man has been sentenced to death in China for killing eight of his neighbours, including three children, following a dispute over the positioning of a mirror.
Li Lingtao was convicted by a local court in Pingdingshan City of central China's Henan Province for the murder of his neighbours using an iron bar, an axe and a cleaver in May this year.
Li surrendered to police after the crime, saying he was angry that his neighbours living opposite the street had put up a mirror on their gate.
He suspected they were trying to damage his feng shui, the ancient Chinese philosophical system under which geomantic omens are held to affect the fortunes of an abode.
During an open trial attended by nearly 100 people on Thursday, Li admitted to the court that he killed the people seeking revenge, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The Intermediate People's Court of Pingdingshan also deprived him of his political rights for life, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees