Man sets fire to elderly home in China, 11 dead
Beijing: Eleven people were today charred to death when an inhabitant of a senior citizens nursing home set fire to the facility in a row over USD 32 in northeast China.
The blaze ripped through the nursing home in the early hours at the in-patient building of the Lianhe Senior Nursing Home in Hailun city of Heilongjiang province, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Eleven people, including 45-year-old Wang Gui, who set the building on fire, were killed in the blaze, the report said, adding that arson has been confirmed as the cause of the fire incident.
Wang, who was sent to the nursing home as he suffered from cerebral thrombosis, set fire to the building after getting angry over the loss of 200 yuan (USD 32). He suspected that a fellow resident stole it, local officials said.
Staff from the nursing home and Wang`s peers tried to calm him down but failed, the report said.
So far the identities of 10 of the dead have been confirmed, and their ages range from 45 to 87, it said.
Two others were injured in the fire.
There were 32 people in the in-patient building, which covers an area of 300 square metres, when the fire broke out.
A total of 283 people were living in the nursing home, which was built in 2005 to cater to the rural elderly in the city who have no source of income.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read