Man tied to Mexico suicide sentenced for smuggling
McAllen (Texas): A Nevada man suspected of helping a woman commit suicide in Mexico in 2009 has been sentenced to six years in federal prison for trying to smuggle a powerful sedative into the United States.
Jeff Ostfeld of Las Vegas was sentenced today after pleading guilty last year to one count of importing a controlled substance. Authorities allege the 36-year-old Ostfeld bought pentobarbital in Mexico and intended to use it for assisted suicides. The drug is used in Texas executions.
Ostfeld was charged days after the ashes of 29-year-old Jennifer Yolanda Malone were spread in her home state of Oregon. She was found dead in a hotel room in Nuevo Progreso, Mexico, near the border crossing where Ostfeld was stopped.
The judge said he sentenced Ostfeld on guidelines for voluntary manslaughter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?