Man who brought gun to Batman movie pleads guilty
Cleveland: An Ohio man arrested with a loaded gun, ammunition and knives at a showing of the latest Batman movie pleaded guilty to two weapons counts but still faces trial on a third count.
Scott A Smith, 38, entered the pleas in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court to two counts of carrying a concealed weapon yesterday. He still faces trial on Wednesday on a charge of having a weapon under disability, which prosecutors say is drug dependency.
Smith was arrested at an Aug 4 showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Westlake, Ohio. His attorney said earlier that Smith had the weapons for protection in case someone tried to copy the Colorado theater shooting that left 12 dead three weeks earlier.
John Hildebrand, who represents Smith, said yesterday that his client pleaded guilty to the two counts in light of evidence that Smith had brought weapons to the theater. There was no plea deal, Hildebrand said.
Smith will contest the weapon under disability charge, Hildebrand said.
Hildebrand declined to comment on the overall case until after the trial on the third count.
The theater manager first noticed Smith and a beige bag he carried over his shoulder, police said. When approached, Smith told the manager the bag contained medical supplies. He then showed the manager a portion of the bag that didn`t reveal the weapons.
An off-duty Westlake police officer also noticed Smith and his bag. After checking with the manager, the officer followed Smith into the empty theater. The officer said Smith consented to a search inside the theater.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- No plans to restart ceasefire with NSCN-K: Home ministry
- Trio of Earth-like planets found may posses perfect conditions for life, claim scientists
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to go back to Goa after Union Cabinet reshuffle?
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating