Man who brought gun to Batman movie pleads guilty
Cleveland: An Ohio man arrested with a loaded gun, ammunition and knives at a showing of the latest Batman movie pleaded guilty to two weapons counts but still faces trial on a third count.
Scott A Smith, 38, entered the pleas in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court to two counts of carrying a concealed weapon yesterday. He still faces trial on Wednesday on a charge of having a weapon under disability, which prosecutors say is drug dependency.
Smith was arrested at an Aug 4 showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Westlake, Ohio. His attorney said earlier that Smith had the weapons for protection in case someone tried to copy the Colorado theater shooting that left 12 dead three weeks earlier.
John Hildebrand, who represents Smith, said yesterday that his client pleaded guilty to the two counts in light of evidence that Smith had brought weapons to the theater. There was no plea deal, Hildebrand said.
Smith will contest the weapon under disability charge, Hildebrand said.
Hildebrand declined to comment on the overall case until after the trial on the third count.
The theater manager first noticed Smith and a beige bag he carried over his shoulder, police said. When approached, Smith told the manager the bag contained medical supplies. He then showed the manager a portion of the bag that didn`t reveal the weapons.
An off-duty Westlake police officer also noticed Smith and his bag. After checking with the manager, the officer followed Smith into the empty theater. The officer said Smith consented to a search inside the theater.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Dalit woman humiliated, labelled 'call girl' at Karnataka CM's public grievance meeting
- China in `preliminary` deal for Sudan`s first atomic plant
- EgyptAir 804 human remains suggest blast: Forensic official
- RBI says 1/3rd of ATMS non-functional, warns of penal action
- Sachin Tendulkar biopic most awaited film of year: AR Rahman