Man who filmed assault on immigrant convicted of murder
Chicago: A 19-year-old man in US who recorded on video the attack and robbery that led to the death of a Mexican immigrant was found guilty of murder and robbery on Monday by a judge.
Judge Joseph M. Claps ruled that Anthony Malcolm was an accomplice in the 2012 killing of Delfino Mora, 62, as the father of 12 was collecting cans in an alley in the West Rogers Park neighbourhood.
In a video that later was posted on Facebook, one can see Mora being surrounded by three young men who went through his pockets and then being slugged on the chin by one of them.
The immigrant collapsed and hit his head on the cement. He was found lying where he fell hours later by a passerby and although he was transported to the hospital he died the next day.
"It is a sad travesty that Mr. Delfino Mora died because of the actions of people who were apparently thinking what they were doing was a game," Claps said at Monday`s hearing.
Malcolm was found guilty because he did nothing to prevent the attack, the judge said.
Two other defendants, Nicolas Ayala and Malik Jones, will be tried separately.
Malcolm will be sentenced July 26 and is facing a minimum prison term of 20 years, the Cook County prosecutor`s office said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre