Man who threatened to kill Obama sentenced
Honolulu: A defence attorney says a man was homeless and drunk when he threatened to kill President Barack Obama as the first family vacationed in Hawaii.
Attorney Alexander Silvert says Willis Powell`s threatening telephone call to police on December 30 was "a cry for help”.
Powell was sentenced yesterday in federal court in Honolulu to the four days he earlier spent in jail after pleading guilty to a misdemeanour threat to assault a US official. He initially faced up to five years in prison for threatening the President.
The 58-year-old Powell was put on a year of supervised release in West Virginia, his home state.
During the sentencing hearing, Powell apologised to Obama, the court and the country, saying he had made a fool of himself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police