Man who threatened to kill Obama sentenced
Honolulu: A defence attorney says a man was homeless and drunk when he threatened to kill President Barack Obama as the first family vacationed in Hawaii.
Attorney Alexander Silvert says Willis Powell`s threatening telephone call to police on December 30 was "a cry for help”.
Powell was sentenced yesterday in federal court in Honolulu to the four days he earlier spent in jail after pleading guilty to a misdemeanour threat to assault a US official. He initially faced up to five years in prison for threatening the President.
The 58-year-old Powell was put on a year of supervised release in West Virginia, his home state.
During the sentencing hearing, Powell apologised to Obama, the court and the country, saying he had made a fool of himself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP