Man who threatened to kill Obama sentenced
Honolulu: A defence attorney says a man was homeless and drunk when he threatened to kill President Barack Obama as the first family vacationed in Hawaii.
Attorney Alexander Silvert says Willis Powell`s threatening telephone call to police on December 30 was "a cry for help”.
Powell was sentenced yesterday in federal court in Honolulu to the four days he earlier spent in jail after pleading guilty to a misdemeanour threat to assault a US official. He initially faced up to five years in prison for threatening the President.
The 58-year-old Powell was put on a year of supervised release in West Virginia, his home state.
During the sentencing hearing, Powell apologised to Obama, the court and the country, saying he had made a fool of himself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- GST rate on processed foods should be low or zero: CII
- BCCI sells India-West Indies T20 rights without following Supreme Court mandated tender procedure: Report
- Demi Lovato sued for copyright infringement
- Washed out Tests: ICC sanctions loom over 'poor' outfields at Kingsmead, Queen's Park Oval
- Madhya Pradesh Assembly ratifies GST Bill