Man who threatened to kill Obama sentenced
Honolulu: A defence attorney says a man was homeless and drunk when he threatened to kill President Barack Obama as the first family vacationed in Hawaii.
Attorney Alexander Silvert says Willis Powell`s threatening telephone call to police on December 30 was "a cry for help”.
Powell was sentenced yesterday in federal court in Honolulu to the four days he earlier spent in jail after pleading guilty to a misdemeanour threat to assault a US official. He initially faced up to five years in prison for threatening the President.
The 58-year-old Powell was put on a year of supervised release in West Virginia, his home state.
During the sentencing hearing, Powell apologised to Obama, the court and the country, saying he had made a fool of himself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!