Man with smoke grenade held at LA airport in US
Los Angeles: A man dressed in a bulletproof vest and fire-resistant pants was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport after a smoke grenade, gas mask, leg irons and weapons were discovered in his luggage, federal authorities said.
Boston-bound Yongda Huang Harris, 28, was arrested Friday on suspicion of transporting hazardous materials on a flight from Japan, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials yesterday said.
Harris was not cooperating with federal officials attempting to interview him, according to a US official who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss an open investigation. The official said Harris is not believed to be linked to a terrorist organisation, but his motive has not been determined.
Harris is a US citizen whose permanent residence is in Boston, and he recently started living and working in Japan, officials said.
Harris has been charged with one count of transporting hazardous materials, an offense that carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison. Harris made a brief court appearance yesterday, and his detention hearing was postponed to Friday.
Harris` retained attorney, Steven Seiden, was unavailable to comment, said Chris Williams, a spokesman for the lawyer.
Seiden is unclear what Harris had on his body and what he had checked in baggage, which will be crucial information to the defence, said Williams, who declined to comment on why Harris was carrying any of the weapons.
"It raises a lot of questions, and those questions will need to be answered. Right now the case is very early," Williams said.
The defence attorney`s spokesman described Harris as "very intelligent," earning A`s in high school and college calculus.
Williams declined to elaborate on his background.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31