Man with smoke grenade held at LA airport in US
Los Angeles: A man dressed in a bulletproof vest and fire-resistant pants was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport after a smoke grenade, gas mask, leg irons and weapons were discovered in his luggage, federal authorities said.
Boston-bound Yongda Huang Harris, 28, was arrested Friday on suspicion of transporting hazardous materials on a flight from Japan, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials yesterday said.
Harris was not cooperating with federal officials attempting to interview him, according to a US official who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss an open investigation. The official said Harris is not believed to be linked to a terrorist organisation, but his motive has not been determined.
Harris is a US citizen whose permanent residence is in Boston, and he recently started living and working in Japan, officials said.
Harris has been charged with one count of transporting hazardous materials, an offense that carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison. Harris made a brief court appearance yesterday, and his detention hearing was postponed to Friday.
Harris` retained attorney, Steven Seiden, was unavailable to comment, said Chris Williams, a spokesman for the lawyer.
Seiden is unclear what Harris had on his body and what he had checked in baggage, which will be crucial information to the defence, said Williams, who declined to comment on why Harris was carrying any of the weapons.
"It raises a lot of questions, and those questions will need to be answered. Right now the case is very early," Williams said.
The defence attorney`s spokesman described Harris as "very intelligent," earning A`s in high school and college calculus.
Williams declined to elaborate on his background.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic