Man with smoke grenade held at LA airport in US
Los Angeles: A man dressed in a bulletproof vest and fire-resistant pants was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport after a smoke grenade, gas mask, leg irons and weapons were discovered in his luggage, federal authorities said.
Boston-bound Yongda Huang Harris, 28, was arrested Friday on suspicion of transporting hazardous materials on a flight from Japan, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials yesterday said.
Harris was not cooperating with federal officials attempting to interview him, according to a US official who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss an open investigation. The official said Harris is not believed to be linked to a terrorist organisation, but his motive has not been determined.
Harris is a US citizen whose permanent residence is in Boston, and he recently started living and working in Japan, officials said.
Harris has been charged with one count of transporting hazardous materials, an offense that carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison. Harris made a brief court appearance yesterday, and his detention hearing was postponed to Friday.
Harris` retained attorney, Steven Seiden, was unavailable to comment, said Chris Williams, a spokesman for the lawyer.
Seiden is unclear what Harris had on his body and what he had checked in baggage, which will be crucial information to the defence, said Williams, who declined to comment on why Harris was carrying any of the weapons.
"It raises a lot of questions, and those questions will need to be answered. Right now the case is very early," Williams said.
The defence attorney`s spokesman described Harris as "very intelligent," earning A`s in high school and college calculus.
Williams declined to elaborate on his background.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests
- Working towards a technology which enables consumer to control electrical appliances at home sitting in office: TPDDL CEO Praveer Sinha
- Modi in Iran: PM promises big celebration of Guru Gobind Singh's birth anniversary