Mandela aware of rumours about imminent death
Washington: South Africa`s first black president Nelson Mandela, at home after a long hospital stay, is aware of social media rumours that he is close to death, his granddaughter Zaziwe Manaway told CNN Friday.
Mandela, born in 1918, is alert and playing with his grandchildren, Manaway said.
"That is absolutely not true. My grandfather is well. It can be very, very hurtful for us to hear these messages out there in the social media that our grandfather is going to go home to die. It is insensitive," she told CNN.
She said she wants to appeal to people spreading those rumours to stop, and to be more sensitive to the family and to Mandela, a global icon of peace.
"My grandfather still wakes up in the morning, reads the newspaper. So is also aware of what is being said around him," Manaway said.
Mandela was treated for an acute respiratory infection in 2011. He was hospitalised for a lung infection Dec 8, and underwent surgery Dec 15 for removal of gallstones.
Because Mandela is in his 90s, it was understandable that "once in a while, he needs medical care and medical attention. And we`re very grateful he`s surrounded by the best medical team. He`s very well taken care of, and he`s very comfortable, and he`s very happy", she said.
A spokesman for South African President Jacob Zuma said earlier that Mandela would continue receiving treatment at his home in Houghton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!