Mandela charity ex-chief faces criminal charges
Johannesburg: The South African man, whom supermodel Naomi Campbell testified she gave diamonds to, is now facing criminal charges, an official said on Friday.
National Director of Public Prosecutions spokesman Mthunzi Mhaga said yesterday that Jeremy Ractliffe appeared in a Johannesburg court on Tuesday. Mhaga said that Ractliffe`s next court appearance on charges of possessing uncut diamonds is scheduled for October 27.
Mhaga said Ractliffe has been changed for violating the Diamonds Act of 1956 which makes an offence to possess uncut diamonds. Mhaga said the hearing postponement is meant to give Ractliffe`s attorneys time to make representation to the prosecution body.
"He is out on warning," Mhaga said.
Ractliffe was chief executive in 1997 of the Nelson Mandela Children`s Fund when Campbell said she received uncut diamonds after a charity fundraiser also attended by Liberian President Charles Taylor. Taylor is being tried in The Hague for trading in illegal diamonds, referred to during his trial as "blood diamonds," to arm rebels in Sierra Leone.
Campbell testified during Taylor`s war crimes trial at The Hague she received the diamonds from three men who came to her hotel room.
Campbell said that she did not know the source of the diamonds, but other witnesses said she bragged about getting them from Taylor.
Campbell said she gave Ractliffe the diamonds the morning after she received them, as a donation to Mandela`s charity. Ractliffe said he didn`t tell the foundation about the diamonds, and kept the stones in a safe for 13 years until he handed them over to police after Campbell`s August testimony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!