Mandela charity ex-chief faces criminal charges
Johannesburg: The South African man, whom supermodel Naomi Campbell testified she gave diamonds to, is now facing criminal charges, an official said on Friday.
National Director of Public Prosecutions spokesman Mthunzi Mhaga said yesterday that Jeremy Ractliffe appeared in a Johannesburg court on Tuesday. Mhaga said that Ractliffe`s next court appearance on charges of possessing uncut diamonds is scheduled for October 27.
Mhaga said Ractliffe has been changed for violating the Diamonds Act of 1956 which makes an offence to possess uncut diamonds. Mhaga said the hearing postponement is meant to give Ractliffe`s attorneys time to make representation to the prosecution body.
"He is out on warning," Mhaga said.
Ractliffe was chief executive in 1997 of the Nelson Mandela Children`s Fund when Campbell said she received uncut diamonds after a charity fundraiser also attended by Liberian President Charles Taylor. Taylor is being tried in The Hague for trading in illegal diamonds, referred to during his trial as "blood diamonds," to arm rebels in Sierra Leone.
Campbell testified during Taylor`s war crimes trial at The Hague she received the diamonds from three men who came to her hotel room.
Campbell said that she did not know the source of the diamonds, but other witnesses said she bragged about getting them from Taylor.
Campbell said she gave Ractliffe the diamonds the morning after she received them, as a donation to Mandela`s charity. Ractliffe said he didn`t tell the foundation about the diamonds, and kept the stones in a safe for 13 years until he handed them over to police after Campbell`s August testimony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof