Mandela children reburied at original gravesite
Johannesburg: The remains of Nelson Mandela`s three deceased children were reburied at their original resting site on Thursday, a day after a court ordered their return two years after a Mandela grandson moved the bodies.
Family members and community elders attended a ceremony on the Mandela property that included the singing of hymns. The reburial took place in Qunu, Mandela`s hometown and the place the former president has said he wants to be buried. Forensic tests earlier confirmed the remains were those of Mandela`s children.
Grandson Mandla Mandela moved the bodies to his village of Mvezo -- Nelson Mandela`s birthplace -- in 2011. The two towns are about 25 kilometers (15 miles) apart. Fifteen Mandela family members pursued court action last week to force the grandson to move the bodies.
The bitter family feud comes as Mandela remains in critical condition nearly a month after being hospitalized for a recurring lung infection. A Mandela family court affidavit, obtained by the Mail and Guardian newspaper, said Mandela is on life support in the form of a breathing respirator.
Mandla Mandela, the oldest male Mandela heir and a tribal chief, told a news conference today that "my grandfather like myself would be highly disappointed in what is unraveling."
Meanwhile, Mandela`s wife said the former president is sometimes uncomfortable but seldom in pain while being treated in a hospital.
Graca Machel spoke about her husband`s condition at a fundraising drive for a children`s hospital that will be named after the 94-year-old anti-apartheid leader.
"Whatever is the outcome of his stay in hospital, that will remain the second time where he offered his nation an opportunity to be united under the banner of our flag, under the banner of our constitution," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says