Mandela could soon be discharged, says Mbeki
Johannesburg: A former president of South Africa says he expects Nelson Mandela to soon be discharged from the hospital to recuperate at home.
South Africa`s radio broadcaster Eyewitness News reported on Sunday that Thabo Mbeki was speaking at a memorial service on Saturday when he predicted that Mandela would be going home.
Mandela has been hospitalised for more than five weeks for a recurring lung infection, sparking an outpouring of support in South Africa and internationally.
Friends who have visited him say he is on life support in the form of mechanical ventilation. The most recent official update on his health said Mandela was in critical but stable condition.
The anti-apartheid hero spent 27 years in prison before becoming South Africa`s first black president in 1994.
He turns 95 on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees