Mandela could soon be discharged, says Mbeki
Johannesburg: A former president of South Africa says he expects Nelson Mandela to soon be discharged from the hospital to recuperate at home.
South Africa`s radio broadcaster Eyewitness News reported on Sunday that Thabo Mbeki was speaking at a memorial service on Saturday when he predicted that Mandela would be going home.
Mandela has been hospitalised for more than five weeks for a recurring lung infection, sparking an outpouring of support in South Africa and internationally.
Friends who have visited him say he is on life support in the form of mechanical ventilation. The most recent official update on his health said Mandela was in critical but stable condition.
The anti-apartheid hero spent 27 years in prison before becoming South Africa`s first black president in 1994.
He turns 95 on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country