Mandela family divided over his burial site
Pretoria: While former South African president Nelson Mandela is still fighting for his life in a hospital, his family is squabbling over his final resting place.
The family is reportedly divided between his grandson Mandla Mandela, who wants the anti-apartheid icon buried at his birthplace in Mvezo village, and the rest of the family who want to respect his wish to be buried next to his children, The Star newspaper of South Africa reported on Wednesday citing three sources.
Mandla is the head of the Mvezo Traditional Council.
The controversy arose as Mandla had exhumed the bodies of his father Makgatho, uncle Thembekile and aunt Makaziwe from the family grave at Mandela`s homestead in Qunu and reburied them at his birthplace Mvezo in 2011.
Makgatho died in 2005 due to AIDS-related illness, Makaziwe had died in 1948 when she was just nine months old, and Thembekile was killed in a car accident in 1969.
All three were children from Mandela`s first wife, Evelyn.
According to the report, the family had gathered at the Qunu homestead Tuesday for an “ibhunga” or a meeting to discuss an important family matter.
Among those who attended the meeting were Mandela`s another daughter from Evelyn, also named Makaziwe, his daughter from second wife Winnie, Zenani, Mandla and his brother Ndaba.
Bantu Holomisa, leader of the United Democratic Movement, Lindwe Sisulu, South Africa`s minister for public service and administration, and chief Bhovulengwe of the abaThembu Royal Council were also present in the meeting.
Mandla reportedly stormed out of the meeting as the family members sought that the bodies of Makgatho, Makaziwe and Thembekile be moved back to their original burial sites in Qunu.
“This is making it impossible for Mandela to be buried next to his children because they are buried in Mvezo. Mandela is going to be buried in Qunu. Mandla did this without consulting the elders,” The Star report quoted one of the sources as saying.
When the newspaper called Mandla on his phone, he did not answer it, Holonisa refused to divulge what happened in the meeting and instead suggested that Makaziwe be contacted as she had called the meeting, and Makaziwe, on her part, said she doesn`t “talk to The Star”.
Tuesday`s family meeting lasted from 11 am to 2 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead