Mandela hopefully coming home soon: Grandson
Johannesburg: A grandson of Nelson Mandela says hopefully he`ll be headed home soon, as the 94-year-old beloved former President marked two weeks in the hospital on Friday.
Ndaba Mandela addressed concerns about his grandfather`s health at a media briefing on Thursday about a football invitational that will be part of celebrations surrounding Mandela`s 95th birthday on July 18.
"Positively we can say that he has been getting better and better each day and hopefully he`ll be coming home soon," Ndaba Mandela was quoted as saying by The Star, a South African newspaper.
"For us, as family, as long as he can still hear and understand what is said to him, and talk to us, we`ll continue to celebrate him," he said.
Mandela, who spent 27 years in prison during white racist rule, was taken to a Pretoria hospital on June 8 to be treated for a recurring lung infection. It marked the fourth time he has been hospitalized since December.
Meanwhile, former President Thabo Mbeki, who succeeded Mandela as president in 1999, said he also has remained in close contact with doctors about Mandela`s condition.
"Nelson Mandela is in fact improving, in terms of his health," Mbeki said last night in an interview with Power FM, a South African radio station. "I think we really need to feel comforted that we still have him with us now."
The government had described Mandela`s condition as serious but stable, but later said he was improving.
Mandela was released from prison in 1990 and became South Africa`s first black president in all-race elections in 1994.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India