Mandela in hospital for `routine` tests
Johannesburg: Nelson Mandela was in hospital for "routine" tests on Thursday but his health was not in jeopardy, said the former South African president`s foundation in a statement.
"He is in no danger and is in good spirits," the
foundation said, confirming that he attended Milpark hospital
An AFP photographer saw Mandela`s wife, Graca Machel,
leaving the hospital at around 5:30 pm (1530 GMT), with four
other family members departing shortly after. His personal
assistant Zelda la Grange arrived at 6:00 pm.
The hospital declined to comment on whether the
anti-apartheid hero would be staying in hospital overnight,
saying it does not give information on patients as a matter of
Mandela, South Africa`s first black president, is
increasingly frail and has not appeared publicly since the
closing ceremony of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in Johannesburg.
After his withdrawal from public life in 2004, he
created the Nelson Mandela Foundation, the Nelson Mandela
Children`s Fund and the Mandela Rhodes Foundation to continue
humanitarian work on his behalf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city