Mandela in hospital for `routine` tests
Johannesburg: Nelson Mandela was in hospital for "routine" tests on Thursday but his health was not in jeopardy, said the former South African president`s foundation in a statement.
"He is in no danger and is in good spirits," the
foundation said, confirming that he attended Milpark hospital
An AFP photographer saw Mandela`s wife, Graca Machel,
leaving the hospital at around 5:30 pm (1530 GMT), with four
other family members departing shortly after. His personal
assistant Zelda la Grange arrived at 6:00 pm.
The hospital declined to comment on whether the
anti-apartheid hero would be staying in hospital overnight,
saying it does not give information on patients as a matter of
Mandela, South Africa`s first black president, is
increasingly frail and has not appeared publicly since the
closing ceremony of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in Johannesburg.
After his withdrawal from public life in 2004, he
created the Nelson Mandela Foundation, the Nelson Mandela
Children`s Fund and the Mandela Rhodes Foundation to continue
humanitarian work on his behalf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Coal India Limited's 66 coal mine projects facing delays
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony