Mandela in hospital for `routine` tests
Johannesburg: Nelson Mandela was in hospital for "routine" tests on Thursday but his health was not in jeopardy, said the former South African president`s foundation in a statement.
"He is in no danger and is in good spirits," the
foundation said, confirming that he attended Milpark hospital
An AFP photographer saw Mandela`s wife, Graca Machel,
leaving the hospital at around 5:30 pm (1530 GMT), with four
other family members departing shortly after. His personal
assistant Zelda la Grange arrived at 6:00 pm.
The hospital declined to comment on whether the
anti-apartheid hero would be staying in hospital overnight,
saying it does not give information on patients as a matter of
Mandela, South Africa`s first black president, is
increasingly frail and has not appeared publicly since the
closing ceremony of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in Johannesburg.
After his withdrawal from public life in 2004, he
created the Nelson Mandela Foundation, the Nelson Mandela
Children`s Fund and the Mandela Rhodes Foundation to continue
humanitarian work on his behalf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now