Mandela International Day launched
Cape Town: The UN and the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory (NMCM) Wednesday launched the Mandela International Day, even as the anti-apartheid icon spent his 12th day in hospital for a recurring lung problem.
Wednesday`s event marked the official launch of programmes to celebrate Mandela`s 95th birthday July 18, Xinhua reported.
July 18 was endorsed in 2009 by the UN General Assembly as Nelson Mandela International Day.
"The establishment of the Nelson Mandela International Day followed Mr. Mandela`s call to the world June 27, 2008 that we can all make a difference by doing good in our communities," the NMCM said in a statement.
To honour the day, South Africans and people around the globe have been urged to volunteer 67 minutes of their time for community service.
Mandela has been in hospital since June 8 for a recurring lung problem. The latest news about Mandela`s health came from his daughter Zenani Mandela-Dlamini who said Monday that Mandela "is doing very well".
No official update has been issued since Sunday, when President Jacob Zuma said the Nobel laureate "continues to get better" although his condition "remains serious".
As founding member of the African National Congress (ANC), Mandela was arrested in 1962 and sentenced to life imprisonment. He spent 27 years in prison.
Mandela had developed tuberculosis while in prison during the apartheid.
He has been in and out of hospital several times since December, raising concern about his frail health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed