Mandela lay stranded in freezing weather after ambulance broke down
London: The ambulance carrying seriously ill former African president Nelson Mandela to hospital broke down in freezing temperatures.
The military vehicle broke down at the side of a highway, leaving Mandela stranded for 40 minutes.
According to Sky News, government spokesman Mac Maharaj confirmed that the vehicle broke down on June 8 when the 94-year-old was being taken to hospital in Pretoria.
He added that his convoy was well staffed with intensive care medical staff, but the former president suffered no harm during this period.
In a statement he confirmed the media reports that the military ambulance transporting Mandela had an engine problem but he did not suffer any harm during this period.
The statement added that when the ambulance experienced engine problems it was decided that it would be best to transfer to another military ambulance which itself was accompanied for the rest of the journey by a civilian ambulance.
The African National Congress defended the governments handling of public updates on Mandela`s, also known as Madiba, condition and thanked medical staff caring for him, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC