Mandela now in hospital for 50 days
Cape Town: Anti-apartheid icon and former South African president Nelson Mandela has completed 50 days of treatment in hospital for a recurring lung infection, the presidency said.
The condition of the 95-year-old Mandela remains critical but stable and he continues to respond to treatment, Xinhua cited the presidency as saying.
"We appreciate that he (Mandela) has been in hospital for 50 days already, but we must take solace that he is being attended to by the most formidable and competent medical teams that we could put together, so he is under good care," presidential spokesperson Mac Maharaj told the South African Broadcasting Corporation.
"He is responsive and we should take heart from that," Maharaj said. Mandela was rushed to a hospital in Pretoria June 8. This is his fourth and longest hospital stay since December last year.
The Nobel Peace Prize laureate has been suffering from a lung infection, the result of tuberculosis developed when he was imprisoned during the apartheid.
South African President Jacob Zuma visited Mandela a few days ago and assured the former president of "love and support of all South Africans".
Mandela turned 95 July 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pink auto introduced in Ghaziabad specifically for women
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Future of cinema is internet movies, says Kangana Ranaut
- Campus violence: AMU expels 11 students, suspends 17 others
- Mandy Moore, Ryan Adams officially divorced
- Subramanian Swamy – Interesting facts about the firebrand politician
- What happened when Deepika Padukone met a boy who was disappointed over results! – Details inside