Mandela now in hospital for 50 days
Cape Town: Anti-apartheid icon and former South African president Nelson Mandela has completed 50 days of treatment in hospital for a recurring lung infection, the presidency said.
The condition of the 95-year-old Mandela remains critical but stable and he continues to respond to treatment, Xinhua cited the presidency as saying.
"We appreciate that he (Mandela) has been in hospital for 50 days already, but we must take solace that he is being attended to by the most formidable and competent medical teams that we could put together, so he is under good care," presidential spokesperson Mac Maharaj told the South African Broadcasting Corporation.
"He is responsive and we should take heart from that," Maharaj said. Mandela was rushed to a hospital in Pretoria June 8. This is his fourth and longest hospital stay since December last year.
The Nobel Peace Prize laureate has been suffering from a lung infection, the result of tuberculosis developed when he was imprisoned during the apartheid.
South African President Jacob Zuma visited Mandela a few days ago and assured the former president of "love and support of all South Africans".
Mandela turned 95 July 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees