Mandela presented with humanitarian achievement award
New York: Ailing former South African President Nelson Mandela has been presented with a humanitarian achievement award for his contribution to South-South cooperation and sustainable development.
In accepting the prize on behalf of their father, Zindzi Mandela and Josina Machel stressed his dedication to wide-ranging cooperation among developing nations.
President Mandela`s wife, Graca Machel, was also recognised for her humanitarian work advocating for culture, children, and women.
Mandela, 95, has been suffering from a recurring lung infection. He is under intensive care at his Johannesburg home, since he was shifted from the Pretoria hospital on September 1.
The theme of the annual event was innovation and technology for sustainable development. The awards seek to highlight the achievements of countries in the Global South, and recognise public and private sector leaders who have contributed significantly to South-South cooperation and sustainable development.
Among this year`s public sector award recipients were Costa Rica, the Kingdom of Bahrain and Fiji.
In his remarks to the star-studded gathering, Ambassador Francis Lorenzo, president of the International Organisation for South-South Cooperation and co-chair of the award committee, underlined the crucial role of information and communications technologies as a tool for development.
The awards, he said, "bring not only the bridge between the public and private sectors, but also give us the opportunity to serve as facilitator" in strengthening cooperation in developing countries.
The South-South Awards 2013 is co-organised by the Permanent Mission of Antigua and Barbuda to the United Nations, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the United Nations Public Administration Network (UNPAN), the South-South Steering Committee for Sustainable Development (SS-SCSD), the International Organisation for South-South Cooperation (IOSSC) and South-South News.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing