Mandela remains in critical but stable condition: Zuma
Cape Town: South Africa`s former president Nelson Mandela is still in hospital undergoing treatment and remains in a critical but stable condition, President Jacob Zuma said Tuesday.
"While wishing him good health, we also have to celebrate his legacy and learn from it, in order to build a better world," Xinhua quoted Zuma as saying in a statement issued by the presidency.
Zuma is in Malaysia to receive the Lifetime Award for Global Peace from the Mahathir Global Peace Foundation on behalf of Mandela.
He spoke of Mandela`s condition at the ceremony as Mandela spent his 81st day in hospital for a recurring lung infection.
Since Mandela was rushed to a hospital in Pretoria June 8, the presidency has repeatedly declared his condition as critical but stable.
Last week, presidential spokesman Mac Maharaj said Mandela, 95, was in unstable condition at times, but demonstrated great resilience.
Maharaj`s words dashed hopes for Mandela`s quick recovery. News about Mandela`s health has been fluctuating. Sometimes he was said to have showed signs of sustained improvement, while most often he was reported to be in critical but stable condition.
Mandela`s daughter Zindzi Mandela Aug 9 gave the most encouraging news when she said the anti-apartheid icon managed to sit up.
"He`s fine, Tata (father) now manages to sit up, like now he sits up in a chair for a few minutes in a day, every day you know he becomes more alert and more responsive," Zindzi said.
The Nobel Peace Prize laureate has been suffering from a recurring lung infection, which is the result of tuberculosis developed when he was imprisoned during the apartheid period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says