Mandela spends one month in hospital, still critical
Johannesburg: South Africa`s anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela, battling for life with a recurring lung infection, on Sunday completed a month in hospital.
Today marks the 30th day the revered democracy icon has been in hospital, his longest stay. The 94-year-old statesman has been hospitalised four times since December.
However, there was no official word today on the medical condition of Mandela, who remains in critical but stable condition at Pretoria`s Medi-Clinic Heart Hospital.
Graca Machel, the wife of Mandela, has provided emotional stability during her husband`s lengthy hospital stay, media here reported.
"Madiba always wants reassurance that she (Machel) is close by. She provides emotional stability not only to him but also to many of us," Mandela`s personal assistant Zelda la Grange said using the South African leader`s clan name.
Mandela had a long history of lung problems, dating back to the time when he was a political prisoner on Robben Island during apartheid. While in jail he contracted tuberculosis.
Mandela is revered for leading the fight against white minority rule in the African country and then preaching reconciliation despite being imprisoned for 27 years.
Mandela, regarded the founding father of South Africa`s multiracial democracy, served as the country`s first black president from 1994 to 1999. He left power after five years as president.
Mandela was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993. He retired from public life in 2004 and has rarely been seen at official events since. Mandela turns 95 on July 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'