Mandela spends one month in hospital, still critical
Johannesburg: South Africa`s anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela, battling for life with a recurring lung infection, on Sunday completed a month in hospital.
Today marks the 30th day the revered democracy icon has been in hospital, his longest stay. The 94-year-old statesman has been hospitalised four times since December.
However, there was no official word today on the medical condition of Mandela, who remains in critical but stable condition at Pretoria`s Medi-Clinic Heart Hospital.
Graca Machel, the wife of Mandela, has provided emotional stability during her husband`s lengthy hospital stay, media here reported.
"Madiba always wants reassurance that she (Machel) is close by. She provides emotional stability not only to him but also to many of us," Mandela`s personal assistant Zelda la Grange said using the South African leader`s clan name.
Mandela had a long history of lung problems, dating back to the time when he was a political prisoner on Robben Island during apartheid. While in jail he contracted tuberculosis.
Mandela is revered for leading the fight against white minority rule in the African country and then preaching reconciliation despite being imprisoned for 27 years.
Mandela, regarded the founding father of South Africa`s multiracial democracy, served as the country`s first black president from 1994 to 1999. He left power after five years as president.
Mandela was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993. He retired from public life in 2004 and has rarely been seen at official events since. Mandela turns 95 on July 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured