Mandela to spend Christmas in hospital
Johannesburg: South Africa`s ailing anti-apartheid icon and former president Nelson Mandela will be spending Christmas in hospital, the office of President Jacob Zuma has confirmed.
Mandela was admitted to a hospital in Pretoria on 8 December for treatment of what was described as a lung infection.
Last week he also underwent a procedure to remove gallstones.
Amid speculation that Mandela may be allowed out to spend Christmas with his family, the Presidency confirmed on Monday that doctors have recommend that the iconic leader remain in hospital.
Presidential spokesman Mac Maharaj appealed to people to respect the privacy of Mandela and his family, especially on social media which have been passing out unconfirmed messages about the elder statesman`s health in recent days.
"(Mandela) says that the knowledge of the love and support of his people is keeping him strong," Maharaj told media.
There have been several health scares around the 94 year old leader in recent years, prompting immense local and international interest in his health.
Government has however indicated that they would only issue statements if there was cause for alarm, citing the privacy rights of Mandela and his family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400