Mandela University accused of discrimination
Port Elizabeth: A South African university named after Nelson Mandela has been accused of discrimination after it denied three students admission because they are blind.
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) in the coastal city of Port Elizabeth turned down the trio`s applications saying it did not have "adequate facilities to cater for them".
"At this stage, NMMU does not provide access to students who are completely blind because the institution does not have the necessary resources to assist them," spokeswoman Roslyn Baartjies said late yesterday.
Human rights activists have taken the matter up with the National Council for the Blind, which will visit the university next week for talks on the issue.
Meanwhile the students turned away by the school expressed dismay at the decision.
"My long-held dream of attending NMMU has been shattered," said Avukile Jeke, 21. "My dream was to study in the Eastern Cape and work here so I can develop my province."
"What hurts most is that I was not turned away because I didn`t make the grade, but because of something I did not choose for myself."
Jeke, together with Lubabalo Sapepa, 21, and Yanelisa Ginida, 19, applied for a spot at the university in July.
When they went a month later to write an aptitude test, they were told it was not possible.
Their classmate, Ncebakazi Siziba, 22, who is partially blind, was admitted.
"I am pained that my friends and classmates cannot be accepted. We were together in the whole application process," Siziba said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown