Mandela University accused of discrimination
Port Elizabeth: A South African university named after Nelson Mandela has been accused of discrimination after it denied three students admission because they are blind.
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) in the coastal city of Port Elizabeth turned down the trio`s applications saying it did not have "adequate facilities to cater for them".
"At this stage, NMMU does not provide access to students who are completely blind because the institution does not have the necessary resources to assist them," spokeswoman Roslyn Baartjies said late yesterday.
Human rights activists have taken the matter up with the National Council for the Blind, which will visit the university next week for talks on the issue.
Meanwhile the students turned away by the school expressed dismay at the decision.
"My long-held dream of attending NMMU has been shattered," said Avukile Jeke, 21. "My dream was to study in the Eastern Cape and work here so I can develop my province."
"What hurts most is that I was not turned away because I didn`t make the grade, but because of something I did not choose for myself."
Jeke, together with Lubabalo Sapepa, 21, and Yanelisa Ginida, 19, applied for a spot at the university in July.
When they went a month later to write an aptitude test, they were told it was not possible.
Their classmate, Ncebakazi Siziba, 22, who is partially blind, was admitted.
"I am pained that my friends and classmates cannot be accepted. We were together in the whole application process," Siziba said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal