Mandela`s condition still serious but stable
Johannesburg: Anti-apartheid icon and South Africa`s first black president Nelson Mandela remains in a serious but stable condition in hospital, the Presidency said.
The announcement came as the ailing 94-year-old Mandela Saturday spent his 14th day in hospital in Pretoria. He was admitted with the serious lung infection June 8, Xinhua reported.
"We thank the public for support and for respecting the privacy of the former president and his family," the Presidency said in a statement.
The Presidency confirmed a media report that the military ambulance transporting Mandela June 8 from his residence in Johannesburg to Pretoria had an engine failure but it was soon replaced by another military ambulance.
"The doctors were satisfied that Mandela suffered no harm during this period," the statement said.
"We appeal again that his privacy be respected and that he be accorded the doctor-patient confidentiality that all patients are entitled to in terms of medical ethics," the Presidency said.
This is the third time that Mandela has been admitted to hospital this year. On March 27, he was hospitalised after doctors diagnosed him with pneumonia.
He was also admitted in December 2012 for his recurring lung infection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez