Manjoo new UN rights experts on violence against women
New York: Rashida Manjoo, a South African lawyer, has taken over as the new United Nations independent expert to tackle violence against women.
Manjoo, who has worked as an academic in the human rights field and a campaigner against domestic violence, succeeds Yakin Ertürk as the UN Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences.
She has been appointed by the UN Human Rights Council until June 2012.
"Violence against women violates human dignity, as well as numerous rights, including the right to equality, physical integrity, freedom and non-discrimination," Manjoo said in a statement.
"I believe that equality and equal protection doctrines demand that we address violence against women in all its manifestations as discrimination against women. It is my hope to work within this framework during my mandate," she said.
She has both taught and conducted research at several universities, including Webster University and Harvard Law School, in the US as well as the University of Cape Town.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!