Mao still relevant in China, insists his grandson
Beijing: China`s ruling Communist Party might have veered away from Mao Zedong`s ideology with rapid economic reforms but his grandson insists that Maoist theories are not outdated even though "China has changed a lot".
"The theories of my grandfather will never be outdated even though China has changed a lot," said Mao Xinyu, a young major general, a military researcher besides being the member of advisory legislature body.
"Truth-seeking, an emphasis on the people, and his view of history both deserve lasting study," he told state-run Xinhua news agency. A bulky figure like his grandfather, Mao Xinyu figures high among the Chinese official media.
"Mao Zedong`s art of command represented a high point. His strategic thoughts can guide war in the information age. Digital networks play an increasingly critical role, but the basic principles of war remain unchanged," he said.
Mao Xinyu recently submitted a proposal to the current legislature session, suggesting that the nation apply the principles of the Mao Zedong Thought to war in the Information Age -- an era in which "the Internet is as pivotal as mechanised forces".
"Please take my proposal seriously. I took much time in preparing it," Mao told fellow legislators.
Mao Xinyu, himself is an Internet fan, regularly communicates with other netizens to spread Chairman Mao`s philosophy, politics, and economic and military thoughts.
"We are still on a trail Mao Zedong initially blazed," Mao said.
He noted that his grandfather early on took note of the "economic imbalance between China`s east and west," an issue central to economic planners today.
This year marks the 120th anniversary of Mao Zedong`s birth and many official and grassroots commemorative activities could be anticipated.
Mao Xinyu also sees the need to balance the good points of the Mao Zedong era with the benefits of rapid economic growth.
"Once we paid a lot of attention to social justice. Afterwards, for a period of time, we focused on economic growth too much," he said.
"We should give equal consideration to economic growth and social justice," Mao said. "A neglect of either side will cause trouble. That`s the essence of Mao`s theory."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand