Margaret Thatcher hospitalised after bladder surgery
London: Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher is recovering in hospital after an operation to remove a small growth in her bladder.
The 87-year-old was admitted to hospital on Thursday and is expected to be kept in overnight on Friday.
"She is absolutely fine," a spokeswoman said of the ex-premier, who has suffered some ill health in recent years.
Baroness Thatcher was not well enough to join the Queen for a lunch with former and serving prime ministers as part of the Diamond Jubilee this summer.
And two years ago she missed an 85th birthday party thrown for her by Prime Minister David Cameron at 10 Downing Street.
In October she was sufficiently well, however, to mark her 87th birthday with lunch at a restaurant in London`s exclusive St James`s district with her son Mark and his wife.
Her health was thrust into the global spotlight this year when Meryl Streep starred in a controversial Hollywood film about her.
The Iron Lady drew criticism from Cameron and others for concentrating on the dementia she has suffered after a series of small strokes.
Meryl Streep won an Oscar for the role.
Lord Tim Bell the leading PR and advertising figure who was a close adviser to Baroness Thatcher, said she was expected to need several days of recuperation.
He said the Baroness had had a "minimally invasive" procedure to remove the lump and added: "She will stay in hospital to recuperate for a few days and then she will return home. Her daughter Carol was with her in hospital."
Lord Bell said the former politician had been in some pain earlier in the week and was sent by her doctor to hospital where it was decided the operation was required.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO