Marines row an issue between India and Italy: US
Washington: The US today refused to involve itself in the ongoing diplomatic row between India and Italy over two Italian marines who skipped bail while on trial for murder, saying it is an issue for the two nations to resolve.
"This sounds like an issue between India and Italy, not an issue for us," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
Two Italian marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who are accused of killing two Indian fishermen last year, had been given permission by the Supreme Court to fly to Italy to cast their votes in the polls on the understanding that they would return.
But the Italian government last week announced that it would renege on its commitment to send them back, prompting fury in New Delhi.
The two marines were allowed by the court to go to Italy after Italian envoy Daniele Mancini had given an assurance to send them back.
The apex court has now asked the Italian Ambassador not to leave the country without its permission, taking exception to his government`s refusal to send back the two marines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof