Marines row an issue between India and Italy: US
Washington: The US today refused to involve itself in the ongoing diplomatic row between India and Italy over two Italian marines who skipped bail while on trial for murder, saying it is an issue for the two nations to resolve.
"This sounds like an issue between India and Italy, not an issue for us," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
Two Italian marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who are accused of killing two Indian fishermen last year, had been given permission by the Supreme Court to fly to Italy to cast their votes in the polls on the understanding that they would return.
But the Italian government last week announced that it would renege on its commitment to send them back, prompting fury in New Delhi.
The two marines were allowed by the court to go to Italy after Italian envoy Daniele Mancini had given an assurance to send them back.
The apex court has now asked the Italian Ambassador not to leave the country without its permission, taking exception to his government`s refusal to send back the two marines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof