Marines row an issue between India and Italy: US
Washington: The US today refused to involve itself in the ongoing diplomatic row between India and Italy over two Italian marines who skipped bail while on trial for murder, saying it is an issue for the two nations to resolve.
"This sounds like an issue between India and Italy, not an issue for us," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
Two Italian marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who are accused of killing two Indian fishermen last year, had been given permission by the Supreme Court to fly to Italy to cast their votes in the polls on the understanding that they would return.
But the Italian government last week announced that it would renege on its commitment to send them back, prompting fury in New Delhi.
The two marines were allowed by the court to go to Italy after Italian envoy Daniele Mancini had given an assurance to send them back.
The apex court has now asked the Italian Ambassador not to leave the country without its permission, taking exception to his government`s refusal to send back the two marines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP