Marriage rumours not a plot against us: Carla Bruni
Paris: Carla Bruni-Sarkozy on Wednesday declared that rumours about the state of her marriage to France`s President Nicolas Sarkozy have no importance and are not part of a plot against them.
The French first lady was responding after several European newspapers reported rumours about the couple`s private life, and after Sarkozy aides had alleged that unnamed forces are behind a deliberate smear campaign.
"These are insignificant rumours that count for nothing. We have never tried to fight them. These are rumours that are unpleasant, but which have no importance," she said, in an interview with Europe 1 radio.
"I don`t think that we have been victims of any kind of plot. I think that rumours have always existed, that unfortunately they`re part of being human," she explained, in her first public response to the scandal.
"We have decided, my husband and I, to not accord any importance to this. There is no plot. There will be no revenge. It`s of no concern to us, and we turned the page on this a long time ago."
Bruni-Sarkozy was asked, why -- if there was no plot -- did Sarkozy`s communications advisor Pierre Charon endorse a police investigation and suggest that foreign business interests were behind the rumours.
"Pierre Charon spoke with the urgency of friendship. He took it very much to heart. He took it more to heart than we did," she replied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- FSSAI frames safety standards for alcoholic drinks
- Won’t count bullets if Pakistan fires first: Rajnath Singh on Pampore attack
- Watch: Trailer of India's first stoner movie 'M Cream' is finally out
- Vijender Singh is an amateur, not in my league: Kerry Hope
- NSG likely to meet again to discuss entry of non-NPT countries