Marriage rumours not a plot against us: Carla Bruni
Paris: Carla Bruni-Sarkozy on Wednesday declared that rumours about the state of her marriage to France`s President Nicolas Sarkozy have no importance and are not part of a plot against them.
The French first lady was responding after several European newspapers reported rumours about the couple`s private life, and after Sarkozy aides had alleged that unnamed forces are behind a deliberate smear campaign.
"These are insignificant rumours that count for nothing. We have never tried to fight them. These are rumours that are unpleasant, but which have no importance," she said, in an interview with Europe 1 radio.
"I don`t think that we have been victims of any kind of plot. I think that rumours have always existed, that unfortunately they`re part of being human," she explained, in her first public response to the scandal.
"We have decided, my husband and I, to not accord any importance to this. There is no plot. There will be no revenge. It`s of no concern to us, and we turned the page on this a long time ago."
Bruni-Sarkozy was asked, why -- if there was no plot -- did Sarkozy`s communications advisor Pierre Charon endorse a police investigation and suggest that foreign business interests were behind the rumours.
"Pierre Charon spoke with the urgency of friendship. He took it very much to heart. He took it more to heart than we did," she replied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre