Mass for inauguration of Pope Francis on March 19
Rome: The Mass for the inauguration of new Pope Francis will be held March 19, Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi said.
Lombardi said, "the Mass for the inauguration of the Petrine Ministry will be held March 19th, the feast of St. Joseph, at 09.30 Rome time", the Vatican Today news website reported.
Argentina`s Jorge Mario Bergoglio, 76, known as "Padre Jorge" among his faithful in Buenos Aires, was elected by cardinals from across the world as the new, 266th, head of the Roman Catholic Church.
Lombardi said that before March 19, the new pope will hold an audience with all cardinals and will do the traditional Angelus blessing Sunday.
The Vatican Today also reported that Lombardi described his fellow Jesuit Pope Francis as "a man who cooks for himself, takes public transport rather than using cars and who is a simple pastor".
Lombardi also said it will be the first Jesuit pope, admitting his surprise, because "Jesuits think of themselves servants, not authorities in the church", the Vatican Today reported.
One of Pope Francis` first acts was to give a telephone call to Benedict XVI, Pope emeritus.
Pope Benedict XVI, 85, stepped down Feb 28, blaming his failing health for his inability to "govern the barque of St. Peter". He was the first pontiff to resign in some 600 years. Benedict had become the 265th Pope in 2005 following his predecessor John Paul II`s death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees