Mass grave found in Libya with remains of 1,270
Tripoli: Libyan revolutionary authorities say they have discovered a mass grave containing the remains of 1,270 inmates killed by the regime of Muammar Gaddafi in a 1996 prison massacre.
The site was found near Tripoli`s Abu Salim prison, where the victims were killed on June 26, 1996, after protesting conditions at the facility.
The announcement was made Sunday by Dr. Ibrahim Abu Sahima of the government committee overseeing the search for victims of the former regime.
He says investigators found the grave two weeks ago after getting information from captured regime officials and witnesses.
Officials will ask for international assistance in identifying the remains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hull City gain Premier League promotion, courtesy Mohamed Diame stunner against Sheffield Wednesday
- 7.2 magnitude quake hits South Georgia, South Sandwich Islands
- 10 killed Bangladesh local govt body polls violence
- Watch: Unbelievable! Extra-strong see-through wood is now a reality
- 'Ek Nai Subah': NDA govt celebrates 2 years in office; PM Narendra Modi vows to root out corruption