Mass graves found in Ivory Coast
United Nations: UN workers have uncovered a
mass grave in Ivory Coast, which was recently plagued by a violent battle for control between the current leader Alassane Ouattara and ousted strongman Laurent Gbagbo.
The UN said that the bodies of 70 victims were found
appeared to have been killed by militia loyal to Gbagbo on
Out of the 10 graves found, the world body said that one
mass grave had 31 bodies while the second one had 21 bodies.
All the victims were male.
"The Office says that the team is interviewing witnesses
and families of victims to find out what happened," Farhan
Haq, UN deputy spokesperson, told journalists yesterday,
referring to the Office of High Commissioner for Human Rights,
which is based in Geneva.
"The Office also says that there are allegations of other
graves nearby, and that the Mission`s human rights team is
continuing to investigate," he said.
The graves were found in the Yopougon neighbourhood of
Abidjan, according to the UN.
Ouattara, who was elected last year in the disputed
presidential election, will have a formal inauguration later
Almost a million people have been displaced and hundreds
killed in the recent fighting, which ended after the UN
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum