Mass stabbing at US high school; 20 hurt, suspect in custody
New York: An American student stabbed or slashed 20 teenagers and an adult in a bloody 30-minute rampage in the classrooms and hallways of a Pittsburgh high school on Wednesday, officials said.
Several had life threatening injuries, Chris Kaufmann, the trauma medical director at Forbes Regional Hospital, told CNN.
The attack at Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville, a suburb of Pittsburgh, began at 7:13 am (1213 GMT) as students began arriving for what should have been a routine day.
The assault was over by 7:45 am with the suspect taken into custody almost immediately, Dan Stevens, a spokesman for Westmoreland County emergency management, told a news agency.
Stevens identified the suspect as a male student.
Stevens said he was cornered by police officers who rushed to the scene. His age and identity were not immediately released.
"Twenty students were injured, four of those students were flown from the scene," Stevens told a news agency.
He said the victims are aged 14 to 17. They were attacked in "numerous classrooms and hallways" of the school, Stevens added.
The school has since been evacuated.
Kaufmann said his hospital was treating seven teenage students and an adult over the age of 21.
A statement on the website of the Franklin Regional School District said a "critical incident" had occurred.
"All elementary schools are cancelled, the middle school and high school students are secure," the statement said.
Victims had been stabbed in the torso, Kaufmann said.
"These are quite serious injuries," he told CNN.
"We had two patients who went immediately to the operating room," Kaufmann said.
Today`s attack comes after a long and frequent line of US school shootings that have inflamed a nationwide debate over gun control in the United States.
But even the December 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, where 20 young children and six adults were shot dead, ultimately failed to tighten gun ownership rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Mumbai architect receives Rs 5 crore extortion call from gangster Ravi Pujari
- 7th Pay Commission: Salary hike to boost demand in consumer durables sector
- 7th Pay Commission: Unions reject Centre's pay hike, threaten to go on strike
- It's a 'happy-sad feeling' for Anushka Sharma as 'Phillauri' shoot comes to an end!
- Lankan Navy damages seven boats of Tamil Nadu fishermen