Mass stabbing at US high school; 20 hurt, suspect in custody
New York: An American student stabbed or slashed 20 teenagers and an adult in a bloody 30-minute rampage in the classrooms and hallways of a Pittsburgh high school on Wednesday, officials said.
Several had life threatening injuries, Chris Kaufmann, the trauma medical director at Forbes Regional Hospital, told CNN.
The attack at Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville, a suburb of Pittsburgh, began at 7:13 am (1213 GMT) as students began arriving for what should have been a routine day.
The assault was over by 7:45 am with the suspect taken into custody almost immediately, Dan Stevens, a spokesman for Westmoreland County emergency management, told a news agency.
Stevens identified the suspect as a male student.
Stevens said he was cornered by police officers who rushed to the scene. His age and identity were not immediately released.
"Twenty students were injured, four of those students were flown from the scene," Stevens told a news agency.
He said the victims are aged 14 to 17. They were attacked in "numerous classrooms and hallways" of the school, Stevens added.
The school has since been evacuated.
Kaufmann said his hospital was treating seven teenage students and an adult over the age of 21.
A statement on the website of the Franklin Regional School District said a "critical incident" had occurred.
"All elementary schools are cancelled, the middle school and high school students are secure," the statement said.
Victims had been stabbed in the torso, Kaufmann said.
"These are quite serious injuries," he told CNN.
"We had two patients who went immediately to the operating room," Kaufmann said.
Today`s attack comes after a long and frequent line of US school shootings that have inflamed a nationwide debate over gun control in the United States.
But even the December 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, where 20 young children and six adults were shot dead, ultimately failed to tighten gun ownership rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp