Massive anti-Maoist operations launched in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Security forces on Wednesday carried out massive combing operations in the forests of Dumka and Pakur, officially declared as Maoist-hit districts in Jharkhand, a day after a top police officer and five policemen were gunned down by the ultras but made no headway in tracking them down.
"The security-men have launched an operation to take strong action against the extremists," Anand Shankar, the adviser to Jharkhand Governor Syed Ahmed, said.
"If necessary, assistance will be sought from the Centre," Shankar, who is in-charge of the state Home department under President?s rule, told reporters here.
Yesterday`s Maoist ambush on a police convoy near Kathikund in Dumka district bordering Pakur, about 400 km from here, would be investigated, he added.
Terming the killing of Pakur SP Amarjit Balihar and other policemen as a cowardly act, the Governor said a strong response would be given to the Maoists.
The sacrifice of the security-men would not be frittered away and the killers would be caught and brought to justice, he said.
He said the ambush would not lessen the morale of policemen and they would fight with renewed vigour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’