Massive protest in Madrid against abortion law reform
Madrid: A massive protest has been held here against the government`s reform of the voluntary-abortion law.
The Spanish government approved last September the reform of the abortion law making 16 years the age when a woman is considered an adult and may decide to voluntarily abort her pregnancy, one of the aspects of the legislation that has sparked great controversy.
The new regulation allows freedom of abortion up to the 14th week of pregnancy and up to the 22nd if the woman`s life or health is at risk, or if the foetus presents a serious deformation.
At the start of the demonstration Saturday, the president of Family Forum, Benigno Blanco said that joining in the march implied a commitment to defending maternity and human life.
In order to take part in the march called by more than 40 civil associations, citizens travelled from all over Spain to Madrid in all modes of transport, including some 600 buses rented in numerous Spanish cities.
While the organisers did not accept representations of political parties nor of religious groups, some priests and politicians did take part in the march through Madrid under the banner of "Every life is important".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city