Massive protest in Madrid against abortion law reform
Madrid: A massive protest has been held here against the government`s reform of the voluntary-abortion law.
The Spanish government approved last September the reform of the abortion law making 16 years the age when a woman is considered an adult and may decide to voluntarily abort her pregnancy, one of the aspects of the legislation that has sparked great controversy.
The new regulation allows freedom of abortion up to the 14th week of pregnancy and up to the 22nd if the woman`s life or health is at risk, or if the foetus presents a serious deformation.
At the start of the demonstration Saturday, the president of Family Forum, Benigno Blanco said that joining in the march implied a commitment to defending maternity and human life.
In order to take part in the march called by more than 40 civil associations, citizens travelled from all over Spain to Madrid in all modes of transport, including some 600 buses rented in numerous Spanish cities.
While the organisers did not accept representations of political parties nor of religious groups, some priests and politicians did take part in the march through Madrid under the banner of "Every life is important".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam