Massive protest in Madrid against abortion law reform
Madrid: A massive protest has been held here against the government`s reform of the voluntary-abortion law.
The Spanish government approved last September the reform of the abortion law making 16 years the age when a woman is considered an adult and may decide to voluntarily abort her pregnancy, one of the aspects of the legislation that has sparked great controversy.
The new regulation allows freedom of abortion up to the 14th week of pregnancy and up to the 22nd if the woman`s life or health is at risk, or if the foetus presents a serious deformation.
At the start of the demonstration Saturday, the president of Family Forum, Benigno Blanco said that joining in the march implied a commitment to defending maternity and human life.
In order to take part in the march called by more than 40 civil associations, citizens travelled from all over Spain to Madrid in all modes of transport, including some 600 buses rented in numerous Spanish cities.
While the organisers did not accept representations of political parties nor of religious groups, some priests and politicians did take part in the march through Madrid under the banner of "Every life is important".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Coal India Limited's 66 coal mine projects facing delays
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony