Massive WWII bomb succesfully defused in Germany
Berlin: Firefighters say a massive British World War II-era bomb that triggered the evacuation of half of Germany`s western city of Koblenz was successfully defused.
Koblenz firefighter spokesman Heiko Breitbarth said Sunday experts were able to defuse the 1.8 ton bomb and a 275-pound US bomb that had been discovered last month in the Rhine river.
He says the evacuation order still remains in place because a smaller smoke grenade found nearby will be brought to a controlled explosion.
Some 45,000 residents living within a radius of about 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from the bomb site had to leave their homes Sunday in what was one of Germany`s biggest bomb-related evacuations since the war ended. About 2,500 police officers, firefighters and paramedics were on duty across the city to secure the operation.
It`s one of Germany`s biggest bomb-related evacuations since the war ended, and some 2,500 police officers, firefighters and paramedics were on duty across the city to secure the operation.
Authorities set up shelters in parts of Koblenz farther away from the bomb site, and shuttle buses were on hand in the morning to carry residents to safety.
The evacuation of some 45,000 residents living within a radius of about 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from the bomb site was finished by early Sunday afternoon, the city said on its website.
The British bomb could cause massive damage if it exploded. It was found last week alongside a 275-pound US bomb and a smoke grenade after the Rhine`s water level fell significantly due to a prolonged lack of rain. All the devices were to be defused on Sunday.
Finding unexploded bombs dropped by the Allies over Germany is common even more than 65 years after the war`s end. The explosives are usually defused or brought to a controlled explosion without causing injuries.
Officials have built a dam of hundreds of sand bags around the bomb site in the river bed to pump water out in preparation for the delicate task. Bomb experts started defusing the bombs early Sunday afternoon, Koblenz firefighter spokesman Heiko Breitbarth said.
Train and road traffic has come to a halt in the area, some 130 kilometers northwest of Frankfurt. Seven nursing homes, two hospitals and a prison with some 200 inmates in Koblenz were also evacuated.
"Please close your houses and apartments, close your windows and, if possible, the shutters. Please think of bringing sufficient quantity of any medicine you might need," residents were advised by the city via leaflets and radio transmissions.
Several hundred city officials went from door to door on Sunday morning, ringing the bells to check whether any residents had failed to evacuate the area.
The residents of Koblenz, which was heavily bombarded during WWII, are somewhat used to bomb scares. City officials said 28 smaller war bombs had been found there since 1999, the German news agency dapd reported. Such WWII bombs in Germany are often found during construction work or by farmers plowing their fields.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand