Mauritania says 17 died in al Qaeda operation
Nouakchott: Mauritania said on Sunday that 17 people were killed in a joint attack carried out with Mali on an Al-Qaeda in North Africa`s (AQIM) camp in the Wagadou forest region near Mauritania`s border on Friday.
A spokesman for the Mauritanian Army said 15 al Qaeda fighters were killed and nine were captured by the Malian Army. Seven Mauritanian soldiers were wounded, but two of them died later from their wounds.
"The operation, carried out about 70 kilometres from our borders, follows a decision by the Mauritanian army to sweep the area where a well protected armed camp threatened the security of our country," Army spokesman Colonel Teyib Ould Brahim told a news conference.
Brahim added that the sweeping operation was ongoing and so he could not give further details.
Another officer from Mauritania`s Army operations bureau said they had planned the operation with the intention of wiping out al Qaeda`s camps.
"The operation was well planned; we were not lured into this fight. We acted knowingly...we went searching for the enemy to destroy it," Colonel Brahim Vall Ould Cheibani told the same news conference.
"Malian and Mauritanian forces were divided in two wings. The base camp was on our side and we destroyed it," he said.
A source from the Malian government said on Saturday that the clash had involved the use of heavy weapons. The source added that helicopters from Mali had been used to evacuate the wounded from the area.
Governments in Africa`s Sahel region are on heightened alert since the killing of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden by US special forces in Pakistan in May.
Security analysts have said AQIM may be planning revenge attacks, and may also have new access to weapons and explosives from Libya since an uprising there weakened the government`s control of stockpiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark