Mauritanian Army destroys al Qaeda camp in Mali
Nouakchott: The Mauritanian Army has "completely destroyed" an Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb camp in neighbouring Mali in an assault that left four soldiers wounded, a security source said.
Friday`s attack in the forest region of Wagadou in western Mali involved air strikes and was staged in the evening, the source said, adding that the "terrorists" struck back with "heavy arms”.
"The definitive toll on the enemy side will only be known at dawn but it will be heavy... The tents of the camp and three vehicles have been destroyed," the source said, adding that two of the wounded soldiers were in serious condition.
"Strong explosions were heard across a 20-kilometre radius, probably heavy weapons stocked in the camp."
The attack took place around 5:45 pm (1745 GMT), according to the source.
Several military sources had earlier said AQIM was trying to set up a new base in the Wagadou region.
Earlier this month, Mali and Mauritania agreed to lead a joint military operation to thwart al Qaeda`s north African offshoot. The operation involves hundreds of soldiers.
AQIM members have been regularly spotted in the region, suggesting it has become a base for the group.
Mali and Mauritania have previously expressed concerns about the activities of the group, along with Nigeria and Algeria.
AQIM, which has its roots in Algeria, has bases in Mali, from where it carries out armed attacks and kidnappings, particularly of Westerners, and is a party in arms and drugs trafficking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad