Mauritanian President Aziz recovers in Paris
Nouakchott: Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz, who was injured in a "friendly fire" shooting on Saturday, is recovering rapidly at a French military hospital in Paris, according to a family member.
"My brother is doing well and could leave the hospital tonight," Mana Abdel Aziz, the President`s sister, told a news agency on Monday. She said her brother told her over the phone that doctors at Percy hospital plan to release him soon.
"I spoke on the phone this morning with the President. He told me that the doctors will let him out of the hospital as soon as he has a positive checkup," she said.
Aziz, 55, had surgery in Mauritania`s capital, Nouakchott, over the weekend after being hit by a bullet when Mauritanian soldiers accidentally fired on his car, 40 kilometres north of the capital. Aziz said the shooting was a mistake. He was travelling in a single car, not in the presidential convoy, and his car did not stop when the army fired warning shots.
Aziz, who is married and has six children, came to power in a military coup on August 06, 2008 and became head of the junta ruling the country. He resigned from the Army to run for president and he won the election on July 18, 2009, with 52 percent of the votes.
Aziz is accused by radical Islamists of waging war against them on behalf of the West. Under the direction of Aziz, the Mauritanian military has fought Islamist extremist in neighbouring northern Mali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...