Mauritanian President Aziz recovers in Paris
Nouakchott: Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz, who was injured in a "friendly fire" shooting on Saturday, is recovering rapidly at a French military hospital in Paris, according to a family member.
"My brother is doing well and could leave the hospital tonight," Mana Abdel Aziz, the President`s sister, told a news agency on Monday. She said her brother told her over the phone that doctors at Percy hospital plan to release him soon.
"I spoke on the phone this morning with the President. He told me that the doctors will let him out of the hospital as soon as he has a positive checkup," she said.
Aziz, 55, had surgery in Mauritania`s capital, Nouakchott, over the weekend after being hit by a bullet when Mauritanian soldiers accidentally fired on his car, 40 kilometres north of the capital. Aziz said the shooting was a mistake. He was travelling in a single car, not in the presidential convoy, and his car did not stop when the army fired warning shots.
Aziz, who is married and has six children, came to power in a military coup on August 06, 2008 and became head of the junta ruling the country. He resigned from the Army to run for president and he won the election on July 18, 2009, with 52 percent of the votes.
Aziz is accused by radical Islamists of waging war against them on behalf of the West. Under the direction of Aziz, the Mauritanian military has fought Islamist extremist in neighbouring northern Mali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt