Mauritanian President flies to Paris after shooting
London: Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz is being flown to French capital, Paris, a report said, after he was shot at on Sunday.
The further medical treatment of the wounded president will take place in Paris.
The president of the West African nation of Mauritania, was shot at and wounded in what officials say was an accident.
Citing the Al Arabiya news channel, RIA Novosti said the 55-year-old president was slightly wounded in the neck as his convoy was returning from his farm in the north of the country to the capital city of Nouakchott Saturday.
BBC said he underwent a successful operation on his arm and would travel abroad for further treatment.
Earlier, Communications Minister Hamdi Ould Mahjoub was quoted as saying on national TV that a military patrol had mistakenly opened fire on the presidential convoy.
Initially, Mauritanian radio reported that Abdel Aziz had escaped an assassination attempt.
The minister said Abdelaziz was injured in the arm and that his life was not in danger.
"On his way back to Nouakchott, the presidential convoy was shot by a Mauritanian patrol as they did not recognise his convoy," BBC quoted Mahjoub as saying.
"The Mauritanian people can be reassured, the president is fine... He got out of the vehicle unassisted upon arrival at the hospital, where he walked in without difficulty," he said.
The military hospital, where he was treated, was sealed off by security forces.
Abdel Aziz came to power after he toppled then president Sidi Ould Cheikh Abdallahi in a military coup in 2008. He won the presidential elections in 2009 held under an agreement with coup opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’