Mauritanian President flies to Paris after shooting
London: Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz is being flown to French capital, Paris, a report said, after he was shot at on Sunday.
The further medical treatment of the wounded president will take place in Paris.
The president of the West African nation of Mauritania, was shot at and wounded in what officials say was an accident.
Citing the Al Arabiya news channel, RIA Novosti said the 55-year-old president was slightly wounded in the neck as his convoy was returning from his farm in the north of the country to the capital city of Nouakchott Saturday.
BBC said he underwent a successful operation on his arm and would travel abroad for further treatment.
Earlier, Communications Minister Hamdi Ould Mahjoub was quoted as saying on national TV that a military patrol had mistakenly opened fire on the presidential convoy.
Initially, Mauritanian radio reported that Abdel Aziz had escaped an assassination attempt.
The minister said Abdelaziz was injured in the arm and that his life was not in danger.
"On his way back to Nouakchott, the presidential convoy was shot by a Mauritanian patrol as they did not recognise his convoy," BBC quoted Mahjoub as saying.
"The Mauritanian people can be reassured, the president is fine... He got out of the vehicle unassisted upon arrival at the hospital, where he walked in without difficulty," he said.
The military hospital, where he was treated, was sealed off by security forces.
Abdel Aziz came to power after he toppled then president Sidi Ould Cheikh Abdallahi in a military coup in 2008. He won the presidential elections in 2009 held under an agreement with coup opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more
- New Hyundai Elantra to be launched in India today
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees
- Samsung likely to launch Tizen powered Z2 smartphone in India today