Mauritius opposes British minister`s visit to disputed islands
Port-Louis: Mauritius protested against a recent visit by British minister Mark Simmonds to the Chagos Archipelago, which Mauritius deems as part of its territory, a statement said.
Mauritius is also against a project to reinstall former inhabitants and environment in the Chagos Archipelago, and already sent an official letter concerning this matter to the British government, Xinhua quoted the Mauritian ministry of foreign affairs as saying Friday.
The Mauritian government has made legal proceedings against Britain to ensure that its rights and those of citizens from Chagos should be recognised.
In the same correspondence, Port-Louis also regrets the actions of the British government on the creation of a "marine protected area" in the Chagos Archipelago.
In a statement on a radio, Foreign Minister Arvin Boolell accused London as "orchestrating Machiavellian approaches".
"They entered into our territory without our approval. It is an affront to the Mauritian government. They know we`re advocating for our right to the territory of the Chagos. We will not accept it."
"We maintain that the Chagos archipelago is part of the Republic of Mauritius and any initiative in relation to the Chagos cannot be done without the approval of the Mauritian authorities," Boolell said.
The Chagos Archipelago is a group of 55 islands in the Indian Ocean, south of the Maldives and east of the Seychelles.
The administration of this island is the centre of a dispute between Mauritius and Britain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant