Mauritius opposes British minister`s visit to disputed islands
Port-Louis: Mauritius protested against a recent visit by British minister Mark Simmonds to the Chagos Archipelago, which Mauritius deems as part of its territory, a statement said.
Mauritius is also against a project to reinstall former inhabitants and environment in the Chagos Archipelago, and already sent an official letter concerning this matter to the British government, Xinhua quoted the Mauritian ministry of foreign affairs as saying Friday.
The Mauritian government has made legal proceedings against Britain to ensure that its rights and those of citizens from Chagos should be recognised.
In the same correspondence, Port-Louis also regrets the actions of the British government on the creation of a "marine protected area" in the Chagos Archipelago.
In a statement on a radio, Foreign Minister Arvin Boolell accused London as "orchestrating Machiavellian approaches".
"They entered into our territory without our approval. It is an affront to the Mauritian government. They know we`re advocating for our right to the territory of the Chagos. We will not accept it."
"We maintain that the Chagos archipelago is part of the Republic of Mauritius and any initiative in relation to the Chagos cannot be done without the approval of the Mauritian authorities," Boolell said.
The Chagos Archipelago is a group of 55 islands in the Indian Ocean, south of the Maldives and east of the Seychelles.
The administration of this island is the centre of a dispute between Mauritius and Britain.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged