Max Baucus to be named US ambassador to China
Washington: US President Barack Obama intends to nominate a senior Democratic senator as ambassador to China, party officials has said, turning to a lawmaker well-versed in trade issues to fill one of the nation`s most important diplomatic posts.
If confirmed by the Senate, Max Baucus would replace Ambassador Gary Locke, who announced last month he was stepping down.
There was no immediate comment from the White House on the disclosure, which was made by officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the nomination publicly before a formal announcement.
Kathy Weber, a spokeswoman in Baucus` office, declined to confirm the move.
Baucus, 72, was first elected to the Senate in 1978, and since early 2007 has been chairman of the Senate Finance Committee. The panel has jurisdiction over taxes, trade, health care and more.
If confirmed before the end of next year, Baucus would resign his seat and create a vacancy, which Montana Gov Steve Bullock, a Democrat, would fill. A top candidate would likely be Lt Gov John Walsh, who has announced his candidacy to run for the seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you