Mayan apocalypse to strike at 11:11 pm, if it does
Melbourne: Since long debate has been raging about exactly when doomsday will strike, but now experts have melded science and superstition to bring you the exact time.
Apocalypses are notoriously tricky things, given that so far they have a 100 percent fail rate, News.com.au reported.
The ultimate End Date is usually decided upon by complex calculations, interpretations of esoteric texts, and at least one New Age expert writing it in a book.
In the case of the Mayan Apocalypse, almost everyone agrees that today - December 21, 2012, is the day as it is the last day on the Mayan Long Count calendar.
One theory is that doomsday will strike as dawn spreads its rosy fingers, rolling around the world with the sunrise, while another is that it will strike at 11:11 pm – wherever you happen to be.
But most people who genuinely believe that the Mayan Calendar predicts Armageddon also think it is tied in to the solstice.
According to Sydney Observatory education officer, solstice is when the sun has hit its most southerly point in the sky. At precisely the same moment the opposite is happening in the northern hemisphere; the shortest day, the winter solstice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report