Mayan apocalypse to strike at 11:11 pm, if it does
Melbourne: Since long debate has been raging about exactly when doomsday will strike, but now experts have melded science and superstition to bring you the exact time.
Apocalypses are notoriously tricky things, given that so far they have a 100 percent fail rate, News.com.au reported.
The ultimate End Date is usually decided upon by complex calculations, interpretations of esoteric texts, and at least one New Age expert writing it in a book.
In the case of the Mayan Apocalypse, almost everyone agrees that today - December 21, 2012, is the day as it is the last day on the Mayan Long Count calendar.
One theory is that doomsday will strike as dawn spreads its rosy fingers, rolling around the world with the sunrise, while another is that it will strike at 11:11 pm – wherever you happen to be.
But most people who genuinely believe that the Mayan Calendar predicts Armageddon also think it is tied in to the solstice.
According to Sydney Observatory education officer, solstice is when the sun has hit its most southerly point in the sky. At precisely the same moment the opposite is happening in the northern hemisphere; the shortest day, the winter solstice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?